Landor has been involved with Brackenfields, now managed by Colliers. See Brackenfields for more details
Sustainability is our future.
Landor Developments Limited is pleased to be associated with the formation of the Hurunui Sustainable Building Trust. As a significant developer in the region, we carry a responsibility to influence the outcomes of eco friendly housing and building to provide an alternative option to the end user.
- Constructing and operating buildings requires vast amounts of energy, water and materials. When and how they are built has dramatic effects on both the eco-system and environment.
- As the environmental impact of buildings becomes increasingly apparent, a rapidly growing global pressure has created a requirement for sustainable design in our developments.
- The Hurunui Sustainable Building Trust will issue a “Green” certificate of compliance for houses which qualify.
- It will employ a rating system where a house will “earn” points for different sustainability features.
- Examples of sustainability features: double glazing, quality of insulation, passive solar energy design, rainwater collection tank, solar hot water heating, recycled grey water, dual flush toilets, energy rated appliances.
- A mix of sustainability features will earn sufficient points for a “Green” certificate of compliance”.
- A “Green” certificate of compliance is going to be a selling feature and a point of difference in the future when you decide to sell your home.
- It does cost marginally more to build a “sustainable rated” house, however, a degree of these outlays are recovered over time. For example, some solar hot water systems have an eight year pay back period via the savings in power. High quality insulation and passive solar design reduces the need for additional heating.
- The Trust will spearhead a movement of environmentally responsible planning and construction processes and outcomes in the Hurunui District.
- The Trust will be responsible for the identification of sustainable building product supplies.
The Trust Structure
The basic structure of the Trust has been developed which will then act as a ‘Green building approval board’, made up of a board of trustees. This is for a not for profit organisation. The main objective of this board is to ensure developments adhere to a standard of sustainability. This will be based on a rating system that works by awarding credits for different aspects of environmental design in performance categories.
What is Sustainability?
Sustainability means maintaining our environment, economy and society during development. Sustainable development is an inclusive approach that seeks to meet the needs of the present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
Sustainable design is a growing field in the practice of creating healthier and more resource efficient models of construction, renovation, operation, maintenance, and demolition.
Why are we doing this?
Globally, we are consuming more energy than is available, producing more waste and pollutants than we can afford to, and the time has come to recognise both our impacts on the environment and the economic costs of our consumption.
We can learn to minimise our energy consumption and pollutants throughout the building process by the use of local materials, local construction companies, disposable and energy efficient products, the list goes on.
The key words to remember are: ‘reducing our impact on our natural and built environment’.
Sustainability is important because we need to ensure that our natural resources are preserved far into the future. The Hurunui District has a special interest in that it is rich in natural resources and responsibility needs to be taken for ensuring that those resources are cared for and preserved as much as possible.
Landor Developments Ltd is committed to the principal of sustainability. Simple pragmatic ideas such as collecting rainwater and using effective design and insulation are not overly expensive and relatively easily installed in new housing. Local authorities do not yet have the legal backing nor the funding to influence such outcomes, and it is therefore up to responsible businesses and communities to work together to put in place mechanisms which are effective, efficient and flexible over time.
The alternative to a Trust mechanism is to use covenants. These, however, are quite inflexible over time, and inevitably the technology and requirements will change in the future. The variation between building size within developments means that covenants alone will not work well. A small block for example may achieve a “level” of sustainability with fewer “green” components than a larger house. Covenants tend to be non discriminatory.
The Trust is an independently managed not for profit organisation, and we wish it well in this very important endeavour.
Landor Developments Ltd has been appointed as the management team for the Oakfields development.
Oakfields is a new affordable and convenient residential community. Set in picturesque Amberley located on the east side of the township with direct access Pound Street and Amberley Beach Road.
Positioned in an attractive rural setting with plenty of green space, linkages and the convenience of local amenities close by. A short stroll will take you to medical services, post office, banking, district library and Brackenfields, the proposed new shopping centre. Only five minutes drive away will take you to Amberley Beach and the scenic 18 hole golf course. Five minutes drive to the north is the fabulous Waipara Wine District, now famous for its award winning wine and delightful restaurants.
Construction for the second stage of Oakfields is completed. A small number of sections are still available for sale.
House and land packages available.
The map below shows Stage Two. The following lots are still available: lot 10 ($139,000); lots 12, 13, 14 ($137,000); and lot 19 ($144,000).
You can download the Stage 2 Covenents here.
You can download the overall plan here.
Stage 3 prices start at $148,000.
You can download a site plan of stage 3 here.
You can download a draft version of the Stage 3 Covenents here.
The Brackens, Amberley Beach Road, next to The Teviots is a further residential development.
This proposal is an extension to the town through varied sized sections reinforced with green space linkages to surrounding neighbourhoods. It will feature outside art, sculptures and a historical trail of the early settlement.
Three different neighbourhoods within the one development, this unique residential development will cater for different types of resident all at different lifestyle stages, and consequently provide a balance in population.
A mix of section sizes from: 400 sq m – 2000 sq m
Positioned in a stunning rural setting with hill views, located at the entrance to the country’s fastest growing wine district – Waipara. This truly is a different pace a different world.
This is a lifestyle option with choice within it, a “playground” at your doorstep, yet all the benefits of a well serviced village within walking distance. Designed with plenty of green space, walkway/cycle links, outdoor exercise equipment, areas of boardwalk, village green, reserve, native plantings, and storm water retention space.
The development is currently in the planning stage, and relies heavily upon the sentiments expressed by local residents through the consultation process. They have indicated the suitability of the location and wish to maintain a green spacious feel.
The developers plan to create a subdivision which has high public amenity value and one which respects the environment. Highly energy efficient housing, rain water collection and grey water garden recycling. Covenants will include eco friendly housing design and eco friendly building materials.
The Teviots, Amberley Beach Road is a large 27 section residential development catering to those seeking plenty of space within their title.
- Section sizes ranged from 2000sqm – 39000sqm (now sold out)
- Spectacular views to the Teviotdale Hills and Mt Grey
- Short 5 minute walk to the Amberley town centre
- Short drive to Amberley Beach and Golf Course